Send me an email at jongorey at gmail if you'd like to work together.
Live MusicWant to take it up a notch at your next party or private event? I can perform hours of acoustic covers for your guests (I know more than 100 songs, from the Beatles to the Lumineers, but can learn specific requests) and provide any necessary sound equipment.
I know the ropes of live entertainment. I've performed at clubs and bars all over the world, but also at wedding rehearsals and birthday parties. And of course I've played hundreds of shows in and around Boston -- including many a Saint Patrick's Day and, for awhile, every other Saturday night in Southie... so rest assured, I can handle your drunk uncle!
Rates: $50 per hour, $100 minimum. Add $50 if PA system is required.
WritingAs much as I'd love to make music for a living, I'm actually a professional writer and editor by trade. My work has appeared in the Boston Globe, Apartment Therapy, MSN Money, TheStreet, The Simple Dollar, and elsewhere - including my real estate and home improvement blog, House & Hammer.
I specialize in travel features, real estate and home improvement, personal finance, and profiles, and I'm available for off-site freelance writing or copy editing.
Rate: $50-$100/hr, $0.40-$1.00/word
- This winter, consider a cosmopolitan, culinary weekend in chilly Montreal (Boston Globe Magazine)
- The common fan's guide to Fenway Park (Boston Globe Magazine)
- One excellent tour up New England's brewery coast (Boston Globe Magazine)
- How student loan debt causes a chain reaction in the housing market (Boston Globe)
- It's always better to replace old windows... right? (Boston Globe)
- How to unload an unwanted timeshare without getting scammed (Boston Globe)
- If (candidate name) is elected, I'm moving to Canada! (Boston Globe)
- The heartbreak of a first-time home buyer (Boston Globe)
- Getting a roommate, or paying Boston rents solo: Which scares you more? (Boston Globe Magazine)
- Is that renovation really worth it? (Boston Globe)
- Tips for surviving today's bidding wars (Boston Globe)
- Honestly, you don't need that gas lawn mower (Boston Globe Magazine)
- These U.S. cities are now the most expensive in the world for renters (Apartment Therapy)
- Why planning ahead is dead (Boston Globe Magazine)
- Four lessons from Pre-Cana that any couple could use (Boston Globe Magazine)
- Rocked by skyrocketing home prices, Boston buyers eye 495 (Boston Globe)
- Paid vacation: A guide to buying and renting out a second home (Boston Globe Magazine)
- People want bigger homes, except in this one country (Apartment Therapy)
- You want me to welcome summer? It's not even spring yet! (Boston Globe Magazine)
- Renovation vacation: Sometimes the best souvenir is a new kitchen (Boston Globe)
- Buyers wade through tangle of tighter mortgage rules (Boston Globe)
- 10 heartfelt holiday gifts for people who don't need more stuff (The Simple Dollar)
- Who needs a mall? Do your holiday shopping on vacation in Vermont (Boston Globe Magazine)
- What's it like to live in Northampton? (Boston Globe)
- Why taking a pay cut was the best career move I ever made (The Simple Dollar)
- Is it all sunshine in Solarville? (Boston Globe)